2020 Bessie Stringfield Civil Rights SaddleSore 1000/24 Challenge
On May 2, 2020, 15 women certified the Bessie Stringfield Civil Rights SaddleSore 1000 miles in 24 hours with the IronButt Association (IBA). We would like to especially thank, Thunder Tower West Harley-Davidson Dealership (BLACK-OWNED: Mr. Gene and Mrs. Betty Preston, owners) for their continuous support of the ride that promotes the legacy of Ms. Bessie Stringfield. (SEE the SHOP to purchase the 1965 IronHorse t-shirt). Photo credit: Johnny Whitlock (son of Mr. James Whitlock-treasurer and mechanic for Ms. Bessie’s club).
- Little Rock Central High School (Little Rock, Arkansas)
- Lorraine Motel (Memphis, Tennessee)
- Edmund Pettus Bridge (Selma, Alabama) R.I.P. to the Honorable John Lewis “GOOD TROUBLE”
- Kelly Ingram Park (Birmingham, Alabama)
- Freedom Riders Monument (Anniston, Alabama)
- MLK Birth Home (Atlanta, Georgia)
- February One Statue (Greensboro, North Carolina) (This stop is on North Carolina A& T campus)
This was a historical year in civil and human rights. Don’t let our leaders work go in vain.